Case 7: Kingston Frontenacs
Jeff Stilwell, Director of Marketing and Communications for the
Kingston Frontenacs, must
develop a plan to increase revenue from ticket sales. He has a
number of options: sell more
tickets increase the average revenue per ticket, or some
combination of these two alternatives.
Jeff must consider both revenue for the coming season, and
long-term revenue as well.
1. To consider the possibility of a variable pricing strategy in
an attempt to increase average
ticket sales revenue.
2. To consider a number of creative strategies to attract one or
two specific market segments,
thereby increasing the average number of tickets sold per
3. As Jeff Stilwell, to recommend a course of action for
increasing ticket sales revenue.
This case can generate considerable discussion in the classroom
as the questions for discussion
are considered in sequence. The case also lends itself to
written case hand-ins, given the open
nature of the case which will allow for considerable creativity
on the part of students.
Questions for Discussion
1. How can the Kingston Frontenacs increase
2. What role should variable ticket prices play in
Jeff’s strategy to increase ticket sales revenue?
3. What role should increasing fan support play in
Jeff’s strategy to increase ticket sales
4. What should Jeff do?